Friday, October 16, 2009

6. paint the bathroom. In Progress: due to be finished by 10/25

So, we live in this house built in the 1950's. Tiny bathroom, and only one in the house. The exhaust fan is as old as the house, hence, the shower steam is never-ending for our family of 5. Last week my husband was up on a ladder for the gagillionth time, bleaching the ceiling mildew. We've done that so many times the paint is peeling.

Oh, joy.

So, I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to run to ACO and get "something" to take that retched paint off the walls! Of course that means many layers......nearly 60 years worth.

Oh, joy.

So began my latest impulsive project. I've managed to drip paint stripper on the floor (crappy, ugly vinyl that someone installed over the ceramic floor tile) in several places. It's quite ruined now......but I'm not heartbroken. So now the bathroom paint job has expanded to include fixing the floor.

But wait! That means I'll have to take out the vanity in order to install the new flooring. I always did hate that vanity. Now's a good time to replace it. Sink too.

12 trips to Home Depot and Lowes, and I've finally decided that the bathroom paint job includes the following: remove old paint; prep surface; prime; new paint; remove old vinyl floor; remove vanity/sink; prep floor surface; install new floor; install new vanity/sink (reuse faucette, since this one is only 6 months old); replace towel bar; install new mirror; install new medicine cabinet; install new light fixture; install new exhausat fan; re-install shower rod; install new shower curtain. Oh, and new throw rug, too.

Talk about scope-creep!

And so goes my list of things to do....for every added task, there are a dozen that go with it.

I need a nap....

No comments:

Post a Comment