Friday, March 26, 2010



# 75: Finish T's quilt. I started this quilt for my son, well..... a couple years ago. Actually, more like 3 years. And this quilt is, unfortunately, quite representative of my tendency to procrastinate. It is very close to completion, and has been for a very long time. The only thing left for me to do is the top-stitching. By hand.

My son was taking Taekwon-do at the time, so I designed this quilt to coincide with that. The characters are the tenets of Taekwon-do, written in Korean. The design in the upper left is the symbol of his instructor's Grand Master, B.C. Yu.

I had actually intended to take the quilt to someone who has a special machine for doing the top-stitching, but this being nearly my first quilt, and the very first that I wanted to top-stitch in a more "authentic" manner, I was unaware of the fact that the layers must be separate in order to "load" it onto the rollers.

Well, that means it'll have to be top-stitched by hand, because I've already assembled the layers, basted them together, and finished the edges. Seriously putting the cart before the horse.

Well, I've definitely learned some lessons on this one.

Meanwhile, the quilt has remained 3/4 complete for at least a year.

That is why I put it on the LIST. So for about the last month, I've been pulling it out 3 or 4 nights a week, spending an hour or two doing the top-stitching. I've got about 20-25% it complete so far.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

No comments:

Post a Comment