Monday, January 11, 2010

In support of goal # 84 (Read a feminist blog twice per month), I am searching for feminist blogs to read. This needs a little explaining.

Raised by dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, I've spent much of my life both believing and voting conservative. However, at some point, maybe 15 years or so ago, I started leaning significantly in the direction of being Libertarian. Although to be so is to essentially throw one's vote away (I've voted Libertarian, for all the good it did), since, rather obviously, there are only two "parties" from which to choose in the US. And even more recently, I have voted Liberal, which is to say Democrat. I find myself challenging my own beliefs as issues arise that cause me to feel less and less convicted of my previous stances...which brings up the following:

One of my favorite challenge questions has always been "why do you believe what you believe?" I've had many an interesting conversation with people over the years by asking that. So, posing this question to myself has led me to realize that I've taken many of my own views for granted. I can't really have an honest opinion about something if I've never discovered all the different viewpoints. And the more I discover the viewpoints of others, the more I feel chagrined that I've not challenged myself sooner.

So, to begin this goal, I've selected the following blog to read. I'm not limited to one, so please post suggestions if you have them...

Gender Across Borders

No comments:

Post a Comment